World War 2 Stories for Sheffield

Land Girls 

From Wikipedia

The Women's Land Army (WLA) also known as Land Girls 

As the prospect of war became increasingly likely, the government wanted to increase the amount of food grown within Britain. In order to grow more food, more help was needed on the farms and so the government started the Women's Land Army in June 1939.

The majority of the Land Girls already lived in the countryside but more than a third came from London and the industrial cities of the north of England.

In the Second World War, though under the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, it was given an honorary head - Lady Denman. At first it asked for volunteers. This was supplemented by conscription, so that by 1944 it had over 80,000 members. The WLA lasted until its official disbandment on October 21, 1950.

As late as December 2007, members of WLA and the Women's Timber Corp were eligible to apply for a badge commemorating their efforts.

The badge is the first official recognition of the contribution made by members of the Women's Land Army (WLA) and the Women's Timber Corps (WTC).

Members of the WLA - also known as the Land Girls - and the WTC have campaigned for recognition for decades.