World War 2 Stories for Sheffield

                         Frank Roberts 

A Voice From The Past

By Actiondesk Sheffield

People in story: Frank Roberts
Location of story: Sheffield and Holland
Unit name: B Squadron 1st Troop 15th/19th Royal Hussars BLA
Background to story: Army


 A Voice From The Past

Frank, at 18 years old, having been trained at Catterick Camp, was sent as part of the reinforcements to join his regiment of tanks just after ā€˜Dā€™ day. They went across the channel, then by train and while on the train he saw the remains of the gliders at Pegusus Bridge. He joined his regiment just in time for the Ardennes offensive, and after that he was given leave and sent to Holland for three days. Whilst there he stayed a night with a family who had a 16 year old girl who spoke and wrote English very well, and later he stayed a second night with the family. He never saw them again. He ended the war when he was shell shocked and went to a British Field hospital in Belgium. He was sent to a POW camp, no. 2232 guarding Germans as an easier ending to his war. He never heard from the Dutch family again and was demobbed in 1947. Many years later when his mother died, his sister was going through her effects and found a letter in a biscuit tin. It was from the Dutch girl asking if he was still alive, and for his address. He is sad no one wrote to them and wonders if they are still alive.

                 The letter from the 16 year old Dutch girl:

Jo Janssen
Kr. Steenweg 28
Noord Brabant

25 - 8 - '45

Dear Mrs. Roberts

You probably don't know who I am, but I am the girl of the family in Holland, where your son came last November. My name is Jo, I am sixteen years old, and have still a father, mother, a sister of twelve and a brother of one and a half years old.

Frank left his address here and that's why mother asked me to write to you, because we never heard anything of Frank since he left Helmond. We should like to know if he is still alive. So we hope you will write back, if it is not too much trouble to you.

He has been in the house just twice. When he came the first night, he had to go to the frontline the next morning. Some while after that, he was again in the town for three days. The first night, he came but the next day he was on guard. We did not see him back. I think he has forgotten us. Will you send us his army address, then we can write to him?

I close now, for it is getting late. Many regards from all at home, but mostly from me.